USD Advances with Job Data Release


The U.S. dollar index quickly advanced when the U.S. employment data were released.

Futures remain in a 14-day congestion pattern.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to the U.S. dollar.

various dollar bills


Stock index futures are mixed and are holding up well for the news.

Nonfarm payrolls in January increased 353,000 when up 170,000 was expected.

Private payrolls were up 317,000 when an increase of 142,000 was anticipated.

Manufacturing payrolls increased 23,000 when a gain of 5,000 was estimated.

The unemployment rate was 3.7% when 3.8% was forecast.

Average hourly earnings were up 0.6% when a gain of 0.3% was expected, and the average work week was 34.1 when 34.4 hours was predicted.

The 9:00 January consumer sentiment index is predicted to be 78.8, and the December factory orders report is predicted to show a 0.4% increase.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures.


Futures declined when the stronger than expected U.S. employment report was released.

Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell will appear on a television program this Sunday and will discuss inflation risks, expected rate cuts and the banking system, among other timely topics, according to the network.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 17% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at the March 20 meeting and an 83% chance that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now