US Dollar Underperforms


The U.S. dollar is lower today. In the last few days, there appears to be only a limited flight-to-quality flow of funds into the greenback.

various dollar bills

Germany’s wholesale prices declined for the sixth consecutive period by 4.1% on a year-on-year basis in September 2023. This follows a 2.7% drop in August and was the largest decline since May 2020.

A new poll of economists indicated the European Central Bank will not lower interest rates until September 2024. A previous poll indicated borrowing costs would be lowered in March.


Recent strength in stock index futures was primarily due to prospects of a less hawkish Federal Reserve. However, gains are being limited by concerns about an escalation of the war in the Middle East.

The October Empire State manufacturing index was -4.6 when -5.0 was expected.

Traders are bracing for a big week of earnings reports.

The fundamental and technical factors are becoming more supportive.


Futures trended higher last week due to renewed flight to quality flows in light of the escalation of the war in the Middle East.

In addition, there was support on Friday when Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia President Patrick Harker said he believes the central bank is likely done with rate hikes due to an ongoing waning in price pressures. Patrick Harker will speak again today at  9:30 central time and also at  3:30.

Prices are lower today but are likely to at least partially recover.

Market participants will closely monitor comments from Federal Reserve officials this week, including an appearance by Federal Reserve Chair Powell before the Economic Club of New York on Thursday.

Recent dovish comments from Federal Reserve officials reduced expectations of another interest rate hike this year.

Financial futures markets are now predicting there is a 94% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged and only a 6% probability of a 25 basis point increase at its November 1 policy meeting.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now