The U.S. dollar index is higher today. In recent weeks flight to quality buying has been a supportive factor as well as hawkish comments from Federal Reserve officials.
In addition, interest rate differential expectations recently turned more favorable for the greenback, especially against the European currencies, since the U.S. economy appears to be holding up relatively well compared to the euro zone economy.
Higher prices are likely for the U.S. dollar.
The GfK Consumer Climate Indicator for Germany fell to -25.5 heading into September from a revised figure of -24.6 in August, missing the market prediction of -24.3. This marked the lowest reading since May.
Japan’s jobless rate increased to 2.7% in July from the previous month. The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was higher than economists’ median forecast of 2.5% and June’s 2.5%.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are lower.
The 9:00 central time August consumer confidence index is expected to be 116.5.
The 9:00 July Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) is anticipated to be 9.559 million. The Labor Department’s JOLTS report tracks monthly changes in job openings and offers rates on hiring and quits.
The 9:00 June 20-city adjusted Case-Shiller home price index is estimated to show a 1.1% increase.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures are mixed.
The Treasury will auction 7-year notes today.
Michael Barr of the Federal Reserve will speak at 2:00.
Financial futures markets are now predicting there is a 79% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is a 21% probability of a 25 basis point increase.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.