US Dollar Index Advances


The U.S. dollar index was higher in the overnight trade, and there were additional gains when the smaller than estimated jobless claims number was reported.

Interest rate differentials remain supportive to the greenback.

The Japanese yen was sold today in response to comments from the deputy governor of the Bank of Japan when he said the central bank was “unlikely to raise interest rates aggressively, even after ending its negative interest rate policy.”


Jobless claims in the week ended February 3 were 218,000 when 222,000 were expected.

The 9:00 central time December wholesale inventories report is anticipated to show a 0.4% increase.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures.


Futures came under pressure when the smaller than predicted jobless claims report was released. Most of the selling came into futures at the long end of the curve.

The Treasury will auction 30-year bonds today.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 16% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at the March 20 meeting and an 84% chance that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.

The fundamentals and technicals are not encouraging for the bull camp.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now