US Dollar Breaks Out to the Upside


The U.S. dollar index is higher and has broken out above a two-week congestion pattern.

back of dollar bill

There was support for the greenback when the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Chief Economist said the U.S. economy is showing “remarkable strength” compared with Europe. The Paris-based Organisation revised up its forecasts for U.S. growth next year, while it lowered expectations for most of the euro area.

Interest rate differentials remain supportive to the greenback.

Industrial producer prices in the euro area fell 10.6% year-on-year in December 2023, which was the largest decline in three months and compared to forecasts of down 10.5%.

German exports fell more than expected in December. Exports declined by 4.6% compared with the previous month when a 2.0% decrease was predicted.


The 8:45 central time January PMI composite is expected to be 52.9.

The January Institute for Supply Management services index is anticipated to be 52.1.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures.


Futures are lower.

Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell’s comments in a television appearance on Sunday contained no major surprises. The Fed Chair reiterated what he said last week, predicting that  Fed policymakers will likely wait until after March to lower interest rates.

Raphael Bostic of the Federal Reserve will speak at 1:00.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 15% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at the March 20 meeting and an 85% chance that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now