Unemployment Rate Jumps to 3.8%
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are higher.
Traders are focusing on the unemployment rate and hourly earnings portions of this morning’s employment report. The unemployment rate increased to 3.8% when 3.5% was expected, and average hourly earnings were up 0.2% when up 0.3% was anticipated.
Nonfarm payrolls in August increased 187,000 when a gain of 170,000 was predicted.
Private payrolls were up 179,000 when up 147,000 was estimated, and manufacturing payrolls increased 16,000 when a gain of 2,000 was expected.
July nonfarm payrolls, July manufacturing payrolls and July private payrolls were all revised lower.
The 8:45 central time August manufacturing PMI is predicted to be 47.0, and the 10:00 August Institute for Supply Management manufacturing index is estimated to be 46.8.
Major downtrend lines have been taken out to the upside this week as the fundamentals have improved recently in the form of expectations of a less hawkish Federal Reserve.
The U.S. dollar index came under pressure when the U.S. employment report was released.
Interest rate differential expectations remain favorable for the greenback, especially against the European currencies, since the U.S. economy appears to be holding up relatively well compared to economies in Europe.
The U.S. dollar will probably recover from the morning selling, and higher prices are likely longer term for the greenback.
The August euro zone manufacturing PMI was 43.5 when 43.7 was forecast.
The S&P Global/CIPS U.K. Manufacturing PMI dropped for a sixth month in a row, falling to 43.0 from 45.3 in July. This was the lowest level in 39 months and was the 13th consecutive month the PMI has been below the 50 mark.
The Nationwide House Price Index in the U.K. dropped 5.3% year-on-year in August 2023, compared to a 3.8% decline in July and market expectations of a 3.9% decrease.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures are mostly higher in response to the U.S. employment data.
Loretta Mester of the Federal Reserve will speak at 8:45 central time.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 93% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is a 7% probability of a 25 basis point increase.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.