U.S. Government Shutdown Averted


Stock index futures are lower to start the month even after lawmakers averted a government shutdown ensuring funding until November 17.

The 8:45 central time September PMI final is expected to be 48.9.

The 9:00 September Institute for Supply Management manufacturing index is anticipated to be 47.8, and the 9:00 August construction spending report is estimated to show a 0.5% increase.

Capitol Hill


Increasing U.S. Treasury yields supported the U.S. dollar today, although the technicals have turned negative over the last four trading days. On Thursday futures rolled under a steep uptrend line and on Friday another uptrend line was penetrated on the downside.

The euro currency is lower following the release of weak economic reports across European countries. The latest PMI surveys showed euro zone manufacturing activity remained in contraction territory last month.

HCOB’s final euro zone manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index fell slightly to 43.4 in September from August’s 43.5, which matched a preliminary estimate.

U.K. manufacturing activity slowed sharply in September, although less steeply than in August when it shrank at the fastest pace in over three years.

The S&P Global/CIPS manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index remained well under the 50 level, dividing growth from contraction, moving up to 44.3 in September from August’s 43.0, which was the lowest level since May 2020.

The Nationwide House Price Index in the U.K. dropped 5.3% year-on-year in September 2023,  compared with market expectations of a 5.7% decrease.

Japan’s Tankan Large Manufacturers Index climbed to 9 in the third quarter of 2023 from 5 in the second quarter, which was better than the market consensus of 6.


Futures are lower as traders focus on the Federal Reserve and less on government shutdown issues.

The yield on the U.S. 10-year Treasury note climbed to above 4.64%, holding close to sixteen-year highs.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 72% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged and a 28% probability of a 25 basis point increase at its November 1 policy meeting.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now