Traders Focus on Hawkish Fed Talk


Stock index futures are lower as Federal Reserve officials ramped up their hawkishness.

The president of the Cleveland Federal Reserve on Monday said the central bank may well need to raise interest rates once more this year and then keep rates high “for some time” to get inflation fully under control. Loretta Mester said “inflation remains too high” despite a sharp slowdown in price increases since last year.

The 9:00 central time August Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) is expected to be 8.75 million.


The U.S. dollar gained after Federal Reserve officials’ hawkish comments.

Prices at U.K. chain stores increased at the slowest pace in a year in September, according to industry data.

The British Retail Consortium said annual shop price inflation slowed to 6.2% in September from 6.9% in August, which is its lowest since September 2022.

The annual inflation rate in Switzerland increased to a three-month high of 1.7% in September of 2023 from 1.6% in the previous month but below market estimates of 1.8%.

The Reserve Bank of Australia kept its cash rate unchanged at 4.1% as expected at its policy meeting today, extending the rate pause for the fourth consecutive meeting.


Futures are steady to a little higher at the front of the yield curve and lower at the long end of the curve.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 74% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged and a 26% probability of a 25 basis point increase at its November 1 policy meeting.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now