Surprise Decline in December PPI
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures were lower in the overnight trade as earning season kicks off.
However, prices advanced when the December producer price index report was released.
The producer price index for December unexpectedly declined 0.1% when up 0.2% was expected. On an annualized basis the producer price index was up 1.0% when a gain of 1.3% was anticipated.
The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures longer term despite recent talk of a potentially less dovish Federal Reserve this year.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures firmed when the December producer price index report was released.
Neel Kashkari of the Federal Reserve will speak at 9:00 central time.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 5.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points and the January 31 policy meeting, and there is a 95.0% probability that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.
The U.S. dollar index advanced due to flight to quality buying in light of escalating Middle East tensions. However, almost all of the overnight gains were given back when the bearish U.S. producer price index report was released.
Lower prices are likely for the U.S. dollar longer term.
The U.K. economy expanded by 0.3% in November after contracting by 0.3% in October. Economists forecast the U.K. economy would expand by 0.2% in November.
A gauge for Japan’s service sector confidence improved by 1.2 points from the previous month to 50.7 in December 2023, beating market predictions of 49.9. This was the highest level since August and the first increase in four months.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.