Retail Sales Decline


Stock index futures are higher.

Jobless claims in the week ended February 10 were 212,000 when 219,000 were expected.

Retail sales in January on a monthly basis were down 0.8% when a decline of 0.1% was anticipated, and excluding vehicles, fell 0.6% when up 0.2% was predicted.

The February Philadelphia Federal Reserve manufacturing index was 5.2 when -9.0 was forecast.

The February Empire State manufacturing index -2.4 when -12.5 was estimated.

Import prices in January were up 0.8% when down 0.1% was expected, and export prices increased 0.8% when down 0.2% was anticipated.

The 8:15 central time January industrial production report is predicted to show a 0.2% increase, and January capacity utilization is forecast to be 78.8%.

The 9:00 February housing market index is predicted to be 46.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures.


The U.S. dollar index is lower.

Interest rate differentials remain supportive to the greenback longer term.

The European Commission said the E.U. economy has entered 2024 on a weaker note than expected and lowered the growth outlook for 2024 by 0.4% to 0.8% in the euro area.

Housing starts in Canada declined 10.0% in January from December to 223,589 on an annual rate.

Japan’s economy fell into a recession for the first time in five years as its gross domestic product unexpectedly shrank 0.1% quarter-on-quarter in the fourth quarter of 2023, missing market forecasts of 0.3% growth and following a revised 0.8% decline in the third quarter.


Futures are steady at the front of the curve and higher at the long end of the curve.

Federal Reserve speakers today are Christopher Waller at 12:15 and Raphael Bostic at 6:00 PM.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 10.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at the March 20 meeting, and there is a 90% chance that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.

The fundamentals and technicals are not encouraging for the bullish case.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now