Renewed Hawkish Fed Speak
The U.S. dollar index is higher and is at the highest level since early July in light of renewed hawkish Fed speak.
Germany’s wholesale prices dropped 2.8% from a year earlier in July of 2023, marking the fourth consecutive month of decline, after a 2.9% drop in the previous month.
The Japanese yen declined against the U.S. dollar to its lowest level since November last year.
The Japanese yen breached the key 145 level earlier today, as traders looked for clues on possible intervention from the Bank of Japan.
The Reserve Bank of Australia’s monetary policy meeting minutes will be released tomorrow.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are lower.
The newest fundamental in recent days is some Federal Reserve officials are once again talking about the need for an additional fed funds rate hike.
There are no major economic reports scheduled for today.
Traders are awaiting Wednesday’s release of the minutes from the Federal Reserve’s last policy meeting, in which the central bank resumed its rate-hiking campaign.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures are mostly lower with Treasury yields continuing to trend higher.
Despite the recent more hawkish Federal Reserve, most market participants see the Federal Reserve leaving its fed funds rate unchanged when it meets next month.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is an 88% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is a 12% probability of a 25 basis point increase.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.