PPI Higher Than Expected


Stock index futures are higher despite mostly bearish news.

The International Monetary Fund reduced its growth outlook for the U.S. economy to 1.6% for the current year and only 1.0% for next year.

hands holding tablet w bar graph

The September producer price index increased 0.4% when up 0.2% was expected. On an annualized basis the producer price index was up 8.5% when a gain of 8.4% was anticipated.

Mortgage applications continued to move lower and fell 2.0% in the first week of October. Applications to purchase a home loan declined 2.1% and the refinancing index dropped 1.8%.

Market participants are awaiting the 1:00 central time release of the minutes of the Federal Reserve’s September 21 policy meeting.


The U.S. dollar index was supported by the U.S. producer price index report.

Industrial production in the euro area increased 1.5% from a month earlier in August 2022, rebounding from a 2.3% contraction in July and beating market expectations of 0.6 % growth.

The U.K. economy contracted by 0.3% month-over-month in August of 2022, following a downwardly revised 0.1% increase in July and compared to market expectations of unchanged. Production fell by 1.8% with manufacturing declining by 1.6%.

Bank of England Chief Economist Huw Pill signaled interest rates are likely to increase sharply in November to fight inflation and respond to stimulus coming from the government’s tax and spending program.

The Japanese yen fell to a new 24-year low against the U.S. dollar.

Core machinery orders in Japan declined 5.8% in August when down 2.3% was predicted.


Futures came under pressure when the producer price index report was reported.

Federal Reserve speakers today are Neel Kashkari at 9:00, Michael Barr at 12:45 and Michelle Bowman at 5:30.

The Treasury will auction 10-year notes today.

According to financial futures markets, there is an 81.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 75 basis points at the November 2 policy meeting and a 19.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 50 basis points.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now