Indices Soar on Smaller CPI Increase


Stock index futures are sharply higher in response to the substantially smaller than expected U.S. consumer price index, which puts pressure on the Federal Reserve to scale back its plans to hike interest rates.

The October U.S. consumer price index increased 0.4% in October when up 0.7% was anticipated. On an annualized basis the consumer price index increased 7.7% when 8.0% was predicted.

Jobless claims in the week ended November 5 were 225,000 when 221,000 were estimated.

The fundamentals for stock index futures are improving.


The U.S. dollar index was higher in the overnight trade but quickly declined when the smaller than predicted increase in the consumer price index was reported.

The greenback fell to its lowest level since September 13.

The U.S. dollar has underperformed in the last two months.

Other currencies against the U.S. dollar advanced as interest rate differential expectations continue to undermine the U.S. dollar.


Futures are higher across the board due to the smaller than expected increase in the consumer price index.

Federal Reserve speakers today are Patrick Harker at 8:00, Lorie Logan at 8:35, Esther George at 12:35 and John Williams at 5:35.

The Treasury will auction 30-year bonds today.

According to financial futures markets currently, there is an 81.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 50 basis points at the December 14  meeting and a 19.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 75 basis points.

Prior to the release of today’s consumer price index report there was a 52.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 48.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 75 basis points.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now