Indices Overperform with CPI Release
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
The July consumer price index increased 0.2% as expected, and the July consumer price index, excluding food and energy, advanced 0.2% when a gain of 0.2% was anticipated.
Real average weekly earnings were unchanged in July.
The July producer price index report will be released tomorrow and is predicted to show a 0.2% increase on a month-to-month basis.
Jobless claims in the week ended August 5 were 248,000 when 229,000 were estimated.
Stock index futures are overperforming on the upside in light of today’s slightly bullish economic reports.
The U.S. dollar index is lower and is overreacting on the downside to today’s economic reports, which suggests continued weakness.
Japan’s wholesale inflation eased for a seventh month in July. The 3.6% increase in the corporate goods price index, which measures the price companies charge each other for their goods and services, was slightly above the median prediction of a 3.5% annual increase and follows the 4.3% annual increase in June.
This was the slowest wholesale inflation rate since March 2021.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Yesterday’s 10-year note auction results were neutral to a little better than expected. The Treasury will auction 30-year bonds today.
Most market participants see the Federal Reserve leaving its fed funds rate unchanged when it meets next month.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 90% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is a 10% probability of a 25 basis point increase.
The Federal Open Market Committee’s 25 basis point increase in its fed funds rate on July 26 is probably the last one in this cycle.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.