Indices Decline with PPI Release


Stock index futures declined when the producer price index report was released.

The producer price index in January increased 0.3% when a gain of 0.1% was expected, and the producer price index, excluding food and energy, was up 0.5% when up 0.1% was anticipated.


Housing starts in January were 1.331 million when 1.470 million were predicted, and building permits were 1.470 million when 1.510 million were forecast.

The 9:00 central time February consumer sentiment index is expected to be 80.

Stock index futures are likely to trade higher later today from the current lower prices that were inspired by the bearish producer price index report.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures.


The U.S. dollar index is higher due to the larger than predicted increase in the U.S. producer price index.

Interest rate differentials remain supportive to the greenback longer term.

Germany’s wholesale prices fell by 2.7% year-on-year in January 2024, following a 2.6% decline in the previous month.

Industrial production in Switzerland fell 0.4% year-on-year in the fourth quarter of 2023, reversing from a downwardly revised 1.8% drop in the previous quarter.

Retail sales volumes in the U.K. rebounded by 3.4% month-over-month in January 2024, following a sharp decline of 3.3% in December and easily surpassing market expectations of a 1.5% gain.


Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President Raphael Bostic said late Thursday there is no urgency for the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates, and the battle with inflation is not over yet.

Futures quickly declined when the larger than expected increase in the producer price index was reported.

Federal Reserve speakers today are Michael Barr at 8:10 and Mary Daly at 11:10.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 6.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at the March 20 meeting, and there is a 94% chance that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.

The fundamentals and technicals remain bearish on balance.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now