Index Futures Decline on CPI Data
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures were higher in the overnight trade but quickly declined when the U.S. 7:30 central time economic reports were released.
The consumer price index for December increased 0.3% when up 0.2% was expected. On an annualized basis the consumer price index was up 3.4% when a gain of 3.2% was predicted.
Jobless claims in the week ended January 6 were 202,000 when 209,000 were anticipated.
The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures longer term despite recent talk of a potentially less dovish Federal Reserve this year.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
The Treasury will auction 30-year bonds today.
Thomas Barkin of the Federal Reserve will speak at 11:40 central time.
There were comments this week made by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York President John Williams and the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President Raphael Bostic suggesting the Fed needs more evidence inflation is moving toward 2.0% before lowering interest rates.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 3.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will reduce its fed funds rate by 25 points at its January 31, 2024 policy meeting and a 97% probability of no change.
The U.S. dollar index advanced due to the bullish U.S. economic reports.
However, it is likely that the gains that were inspired by this morning’s economic reports will be mostly given back later today.
Lower prices are likely for the U.S. dollar longer term.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.