GDP Increases Less Than Expected


Yesterday’s sharp advance for stock index futures took place after the very weak 9:00 central time economic reports were released.

Yesterday’s August consumer confidence index was 106.1 when 116.5 was expected, and the July Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) was only 8.827 million when 9.559 million were anticipated, which was a 28-month low.

Today’s August Automated Data Processing, Inc. employment report showed an increase of 177,00 when up 200,000 was predicted.

The second quarter gross domestic product report showed an increase of 2.1% when up 2.4% was estimated, and personal consumption expenditures increased 1.7% as expected.

The 9:00 July pending home sales report is predicted to be down 0.4%.



The U.S. dollar index declined yesterday after the weak U.S. economic reports were released.

In spite of this, the greenback is likely to trend higher since the U.S. economy appears to be holding up relatively well compared to economies elsewhere.

German import prices decreased by 13.2% year-on-year in July 2023, marking the sharpest drop since January 1987 and compared to market predictions of a 12.9% decline.

The German European Union-harmonized August consumer price index increased 0.4% on the month when a gain of 0.3% was forecast.

The consumer confidence index in Japan unexpectedly declined to 36.2, which is below market forecasts of 37.5.

Australia’s inflation slowed to a 17-month low in July.

Data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics showed its monthly consumer price index increased  4.9% on the year to July, which is down from 5.4% in the previous month and under market predictions of 5.2%.


Futures are mixed.

Financial futures markets are now predicting there is an 89% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is an 11% probability of a 25 basis point increase.

Before yesterday’s weak economic reports there was a 21% chance of a rate hike next month.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now