GBP Falls on Weak PMI Data


The U.S. dollar index is higher and at the highest level since June 7. In recent weeks flight to quality buying has been a supportive factor as well as the recently more hawkish comments from Federal Reserve officials.

The HCOB Euro Zone Composite PMI fell to 47.0 in August 2023 from 48.6 in the previous month, which is well below market expectations of 48.5, according to a preliminary estimate.

The HCOB Germany Composite PMI dropped to 44.7 in August 2023 from 48.5 in July, which was substantially under the forecast of 48.3, a preliminary estimate revealed.

The British pound fell to near its lowest level since June 29 in response to weaker-than-expected PMI data. The latest survey showed U.K. business activity contracted more than estimated in August. The S&P Global/CIPS U.K. PMI dropped to 47.9 in August 2023 from 50.8 in July, falling under the market consensus of 50.3, according to a preliminary estimate.

british pound

Japan’s factory activity contracted for a third straight month in August, according to a private sector survey.

The au Jibun Bank flash Japan manufacturing purchasing managers’ index inched up to a seasonally adjusted 49.7 in August from 49.6 in July but remained below the 50.0 index point threshold, which separates contraction from expansion.

The manufacturing sector in Australia continued to contract in August, and at a faster pace. The latest survey from Judo Bank showed a manufacturing PMI score of 49.4, which is down from 49.6 in July.


Stock index futures are higher due to overnight downward pressure on global interest rates.

The 8:45 central time August manufacturing PMI is expected to be 48.8.

The 9:00 July new home sales report is anticipated to show 705,000.

Fed Chair Powell will speak on Friday morning at the annual Jackson Hole Economic Symposium,  which will start on Thursday.

Many analysts believe Powell’s comments will be hawkish on balance.


Evidence of a weakening global economy supported futures.

The Treasury will auction 20-year bonds today.

Financial futures markets are now predicting there is an 86% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is a 14% probability of a 25 basis point increase.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now