Federal Reserve Releases Beige Book
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
The Federal Reserve released its “Beige Book” on the economy yesterday, which stated U.S. businesses are becoming more pessimistic about economic conditions in the face of high inflation and rising interest rates. The Fed’s 12 regional districts said business contacts noted “growing concerns about weakening demand.”
This book is produced approximately two weeks before the monetary policy meetings of the Federal Open Market Committee. On each occasion, a different Federal Reserve district bank compiles anecdotal evidence on economic conditions from each of the 12 Federal Reserve districts.
Jobless claims in the week ended October 15 were 214,000 when 230,000 were expected.
The October Philadelphia Federal Reserve manufacturing index was negative 8.7 when negative 5.0 was anticipated.
The 9:00 central time September existing home sales report is predicted to be 4.695 million.
The 9:00 September leading indicators report is estimated to be down 0.3%.
The technicals are becoming more supportive.
The U.S. dollar index is lower today and has been underperforming the news in recent weeks.
The annual producer inflation in Germany was 45.8% in September 2022, which is unchanged from August’s record high figure, and above market forecasts of 44.7%.
Australia’s unemployment rate was unchanged in September at 3.5%. Employment increased by only 900 people in September, with the participation rate unchanged from August at 66.6%.
The Japanese yen fell to the key psychological level of 150 per dollar for the first time since August 1990, increasing speculation that the government would intervene again in the currency markets to support the yen.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures are lower.
Federal Reserve speakers today are Patrick Harker at 11:00, Philip Jefferson at 12:30, Lisa Cook at 12:45 and Michelle Bowman at 1:05.
According to financial futures markets, there is a 97.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 75 basis points at the November 2 policy meeting and a 3.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 50 basis points.
Last week there was a 2.0% probability that the FOMC could increase its fed funds rate by 100 basis points.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.