Fed Meeting News Today


Stock index futures are mixed.

The January ADP employment report change showed an increase of 107,000 when up 145,000 was expected.

The fourth quarter employment cost index increased 0.9% when up 1.0% was anticipated.

The 8:45 central time January Chicago PMI is predicted to be 48.1.

Today is the second day of the two-day Federal Open Market Committee meeting. The FOMC will release a statement at 1:00 and Fed Chair Jerome Powell will hold a press conference at 1:30.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures.

Federal Reserve Building


The U.S. dollar index is higher and remains in a 12-day congestion pattern.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to the U.S. dollar.

German retail sales unexpectedly fell 1.6% month-on-month in December. Economists forecast retail sales would increase 0.7%.

Germany’s adjusted unemployment rate was 5.8% in January, which is the same as in December and November. Economists expected the rate to tick up to 5.9%. The number of unemployed people fell by 2,000 in January on a seasonally adjusted basis. Economists expected an increase in jobless claims.

The Bank of England is expected to leave interest rates unchanged at 5.25% at its policy meeting tomorrow.


Futures are mostly higher, especially at the long end of the curve. Some of the strength is linked to the smaller than forecast increase in the January ADP employment report change report.

The Federal Open Market Committee is expected to keep its fed funds rate unchanged at a 23-year high of 5.25% – 5.50% for a fourth consecutive meeting today. However, the focus will be on any indications regarding the timing of interest rate reductions in 2024. It is anticipated that the central bank’s policy statement will no longer retain its tightening bias.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 2.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points today, and there is a 98% probability that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now