Fed Likely Slow to Add Accommodation
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
There are no Federal Reserve speakers scheduled for today.
The Treasury will auction two-year notes.
A Federal Reserve that will likely be relatively slow to add accommodation this year has pressured futures.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 3.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at the January 31 policy meeting, and there is a 97.0% probability that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.
The chances of fed funds rate cut at March 20 FOMC meeting are now only 44%, which is much less than the 90% probability at the beginning of the month.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are mostly higher.
The 9:00 central time December Richmond Federal Reserve manufacturing index is expected to be -7.0.
The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures despite recent talk of a potentially less dovish Federal Reserve this year.
The U.S. dollar index is higher.
The greenback recently advanced as interest rate differentials are becoming more supportive.
The Bank of Japan maintained its ultra-easy monetary policy at its first meeting this year, which was in line with expectations. The BoJ kept its key short-term interest rate at -0.1% and retained the 1.0% upper limit on the 10-year Japanese government bond yield.
A survey from National Australia Bank showed its index of business conditions fell 2 points to +7 in December. Its measure of business confidence improved 7 points to -1.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.