Fed Comments Slightly Less Hawkish


Stock index futures advanced due to lower overnight Treasury yields.

Recent comments from Federal Reserve officials were a bit less hawkish.

federal reserve

August personal income increased 0.4% as expected, and personal expenditures were up 0.4% when a gain of 0.5% was anticipated.

The 8:45 central time September Chicago PMI is predicted to be 47.9, and the 9:00 September consumer sentiment index is estimated to be 67.7.


On Wednesday the U.S. dollar index advanced above a steep uptrend line which was a sign of an overextended move. Some of the selling in the greenback today is linked to the overnight downtick in Treasury yields.

The inflation rate in the euro area declined to 4.3% year-on-year in September 2023, hitting its lowest level since October 2021 and falling under the market consensus of 4.5%.

German retail sales unexpectedly fell by 1.2% month-over-month in August 2023, missing market predictions of a 0.5% growth and following an upwardly revised unchanged reading in the previous month. This was the steepest decline in the retail trade since December 2022.

Japan’s 10-year government bond yield remained near ten-year highs above 0.75% even after the Bank of Japan intervened in the market to bring down yields. The central bank bought 300 billion yen worth of bonds with maturities between 5 and 10 years.


Futures are higher today.

The yield on U.S. Treasuries retreated, after one Fed official said it is too early to know if another interest rate increase would be needed this year, while another said the central bank was at risk of overshooting on interest rates.

John Williams of the Federal Reserve will speak at 11:45.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is an 88% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged and a 12% probability of a 25 basis point increase at its November 1 policy meeting.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now