Fed Chair Powell Speaks Again Today


Jobless claims in the week ended November 4 were 217,000 when 220,000 were expected.

Federal Reserve Chair Powell will speak at 1:00 central time at a panel discussion on monetary policy for the International Monetary Fund.

Powell’s comments yesterday at another conference did not provide any indication of the course of monetary policy.


The U.S. dollar was higher after Philadelphia Federal Reserve President Patrick Harker said early today that interest rates should stay higher for longer and that the fight against inflation is still ongoing.

Minutes from the Bank of Japan’s October policy meeting acknowledged that current conditions are making progress towards achieving the central bank’s 2.0% inflation target.


Yesterday’s $40 billion auction of 10-year notes received a moderate level of demand. Also, Tuesday’s sale of $48 billion of 3-year notes went as expected.

Today the Treasury will auction 30-year bonds.

In addition to Fed Chair Powell, other Federal Reserve speakers today are Raphael Bostic at 8:30, Thomas Barkin at 10:00 and Kathleen O’Neill Paese at 11:00.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 90% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its December 13 policy meeting, and there is a 10% probability of a 25 basis point increase.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now