Fed Becoming Less Hawkish?


Despite the war in the Mideast, a safe-haven flow of funds has only marginally supported the U.S. dollar as prospects of a less hawkish Federal Reserve have undermined the U.S. dollar.

The greenback is lower today and peaked on October 3 when there were reports that the Bank of Japan intervened in foreign exchange markets to support the yen by selling U.S. dollars and buying yen.


Stock index futures advanced on Friday when analysts took a closer look at the quality of jobs that were created. Yesterday’s driver behind higher prices was the on balance dovish comments from Federal Reserve officials.

Fed Vice Chair Jefferson and Dallas Fed President Logan indicated the recent run-up in yields might reduce the need for additional interest rate hikes.

The National Federation of Independent business Small Business Optimism Index decreased for a second month to 90.8 in September 2023 from 91.3 in August and well below market forecasts of 91.4. This was the lowest figure in four months.

On Friday S&P 500 futures rallied above a steep downtrend line.


The Treasury will auction 3-year notes.

Federal Reserve speakers today are Raphael Bostic at 8:30, Christopher Waller at 12:30, Neel Kashkari at 2:00 and Mary Daly at 5:00.

In the last few days there has been a sizable downshift in prospects for a more hawkish Federal Reserve policy.

Financial futures markets are now predicting there is an 82% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged and an 18% probability of a 25 basis point increase at its November 1 policy meeting.

The Federal Reserve’s target range for the fed funds rate currently is 5.25% to 5.50%.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now