European PMIs Weak


The U.S. dollar index advanced to its highest level since early March. The bullish influence of the ongoing hawkish Federal Reserve more than offset the undermining influence of U.S. labor strike activity.

In the longer term, interest rate differential expectations remain favorable for the greenback,  since the U.S. economy appears to be holding up relatively well compared to economies elsewhere.

The euro currency extended losses towards the $1.06 level, falling its lowest level since March, following the release of disappointing PMI data.

The HCOB German Flash Composite Purchasing Managers’ Index, increased to 46.2 in September from August’s 44.6, but came in under 47.2 that was predicted by economists. The indicator was below the 50 level, which suggests a contraction in business activity.

The S&P Global/CIPS U.K. Composite PMI fell to 46.8 in September 2023, which is down from  48.6 in August and below the market consensus of 48.7.

The Bank of Japan maintained its key short-term interest rate at -0.1% and that of 10-year bond yields at around 0% at its policy meeting today by a unanimous vote. Japan has had negative interest rates since early 2016.

The annual inflation rate in Japan edged down to 3.2% in August 2023 from 3.3% in July.

The au Jibun Bank flash Japan manufacturing purchasing managers’ index fell to a seasonally adjusted 48.6 in September from 49.6 in August.


Stock index futures declined Wednesday and Thursday due to the hawkish tone to the Federal Open Market Committee’s policy statement, U.S. labor strike activity and debt ceiling issues.

There is some recovery today.

The 8:45 central time September PMI composite is expected to be 47.8.

Stock index futures are oversold at these levels.


After price declines this week, futures are mostly higher. The bearish influence of ongoing hawkish Federal Reserve officials may be partially offset by the bullish influence of the possibility of increased U.S. labor strike activity.

Mary Daly of the Federal Reserve will speak at 12:00.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 73% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged and a 27% probability of a 25 basis point increase at its November 1 policy meeting.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now