Employment Data Pressures Futures


Stock index futures quickly declined when the September employment data were released.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported nonfarm payrolls in September increased 336,000 when up 160,000 was expected.

Private payrolls were up 263,000 when a gain of 150,000 was anticipated.

Manufacturing payrolls were up 17,000 when up 5,000 was predicted.

The unemployment rate was 3.8% when 3.7% was estimated.

Average hourly earnings increased 0.2% when a gain of 0.3% was forecast and the average workweek was 34.4 hours as expected.

Today’s increase in nonfarm payrolls was surprising, especially since on Wednesday the Automated Data Processing, Inc. employment report showed an increase of only 89,000 when up 150,000 was expected.

The 2:00 central time consumer credit report for August is anticipated to show an $11.5 billion increase.


This morning’s employment data pressured futures.

Christopher Waller of the Federal Reserve will speak.

The Federal Reserve’s target range for the fed funds rate is 5.25% to 5.50%. Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 71% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged and a 29% probability of a 25 basis point increase at its November 1 policy meeting.


This morning’s employment data supported the U.S. dollar and pressured other currencies.

The U.S. dollar peaked on October 3 when there were reports that the Bank of Japan intervened in foreign exchange markets to support the yen by selling U.S. dollars and buying yen.

Factory orders in Germany increased 3.9% month-to-month in August 2023, rebounding from an 11.3% decline in July, and beating estimates of a 1.8% increase.

The Halifax House Price Index in the U.K. declined 4.7% year-over-year in September 2023, following a slightly revised 4.5% drop in August. This was the largest decrease in house prices since August 2009.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now