Debt Ceiling Talks Continue


Stock index futures are mixed as investors remain concerned about the debt ceiling.

Talks will continue today on averting a U.S. default as key differences remain.

white house with tree

Stock index futures have performed well very in 2023 despite a variety of bearish news.

Some of the major stock index futures last week advanced to new highs for the year.


The U.S. dollar index declined on Friday with follow-through pressure today after Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said interest rates may not have to increase as much as previously expected given the turmoil in the banking sector.

In addition, Minneapolis Fed Bank President Neel Kashkari today said he is open to the central bank adopting a wait and see approach at the next policy meeting. He said, “I am open to the idea that we can move a little bit more slowly from here.” However, he cautioned against reading too much into a June pause. “If we were to skip in June, that does not mean we are done with our tightening cycle. It means to me we are getting more information,” he added.

European Central Bank board member Schnabel expressed the view that the central bank should continue its fight to limit inflation “with determination,” while ECB President Lagarde emphasized that policymakers will take necessary steps to overcome inflationary pressures.

Industrial production in Switzerland increased 3.4% year-on-year in the first quarter of 2023, easing from a downwardly revised 5.9% gain in the previous three-month period. This marked the weakest growth since the fourth quarter of 2020.

The Japanese yen declined on news that Japan’s core machinery orders fell in March for a second  month. Japan’s March core machinery orders declined 3.9% when an increase of 0.8% was predicted.


There was only limited support for futures on Friday when Fed Chair Powell said the central bank may opt not to hike interest rates in June.

In addition to Neel Kashkari, other Federal Reserve speakers today are Thomas Barkin at 9:50 central time and Mary Daly at 10:05.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 73% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its June 14 policy meeting, and there is a 27% chance of a 25 basis point increase.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now