Central Banks Meetings This Week
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are mixed as investors look toward the Federal Reserve’s next monetary policy decision this week and other major central bank policy meetings.
The 9:00 central time September housing market index is expected to be 50.
The U.S. dollar index remains near its highest level in six months.
Longer term, interest rate differential expectations remain favorable for the greenback, especially against the European currencies, since the U.S. economy appears to be holding up relatively well compared to economies in Europe.
Building permits for apartments in Germany declined 31.5% in July from a year ago. There were 21,000 permits approved for building apartments in July, which was 9,600 less than a year earlier. Permits fell 28% for the first seven months of this year.
On Thursday the Bank of England is anticipated to announce its 15th consecutive interest rate increase, raising its key rate by 25 basis points to 5.50%, which is the highest since 2008. Financial markets are pricing in a 70% probability that the central bank will hike its key short-term interest rate by 25 basis points.
On Friday, the Bank of Japan is likely to keep its key rate unchanged at negative 0.1%. Japan has had negative interest rates since early 2016.
Last week, the European Central Bank hiked its target interest rate for a 10th straight time by 25 basis points to 4.0%.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures are lower.
The Federal Open Market Committee concludes its two-day meeting on Wednesday. Financial futures markets are overwhelmingly pricing in no change in the fed funds rate, which currently stands at 5.25%-5.50%.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 99% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is a 1% probability of a 25 basis point increase.
There is a 31% probability that the FOMC will hike its fed funds rate by 25 basis points to 5.50%-5.75% at its November 1 policy meeting. Late last week the probability of a 25 basis points increase in November was 40%.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.