British Pound Hits Record Low vs. Dollar


The British pound fell to a record low against the U.S. dollar. The pound fell 5.0% at one point to approximately $1.0327 during Asian trading hours.

On Friday, the new U.K. government announced a plan aimed to boost growth that includes several tax cuts. The announcement did not please investors who worry this will raise the country’s debt to unsustainable levels at a time of a looming recession.

The U.K. finance minister said during the weekend that there’s “more to come” on tax cuts.

A statement from the Bank of England is expected today. There is some talk that the Bank of England may need to step in with an emergency interest rate hike to curb the plunge in the pound.

global currencies

The U.S. dollar index is higher today with much of the strength by default, as additional signs of economic weakness emerge in Europe.

Interest rate differential expectations remain bullish for the greenback long term.

The euro currency is lower after the Ifo business climate indicator for Germany dropped to 84.3 in September, which is well below the market consensus of 87.0.

The Japanese yen is lower, heading back towards its lowest levels in 24 years and prompting monetary authorities to issue new warnings against sharp yen declines just days after the government intervened in the currency markets for the first time since 1998 to limit yen weakness.

Bank of Japan Governor Kuroda said there is a possibility that the global economic slowdown Is Increasing.


Futures are lower as indications of global economic weakness and expectations of further interest rate increases remain.

The Chicago Federal Reserve national activity index was 0.00 in August versus +0.29 in July.

The hawkish Federal Reserve remains the dominant fundamental.


Federal Reserve speakers today are Susan Collins at 9:00, Raphael Bostic at 11:00, Lorie Logan at 11:30 and Loretta Mester at 3:00.

According to financial futures markets, there is a 32.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 68.0% probability that the rate will increase by 75 basis points at the November 2 policy meeting.

The inverted Treasury yield curve continues to warn of economic risks ahead.

The bearish influence of a hawkish Federal Reserve is overpowering the bullish influence of a weakening economy.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now