A Weaker GDP Than Expected
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are higher.
The final annualized U.S. gross domestic product for the third quarter was up 4.9% when an increase of 5.2% was expected, and personal consumption expenditures were up 3.1% when a gain of 3.6% was anticipated.
Jobless claims in the week ended December 16 were 205,000 when 210,000 were predicted.
The December Philadelphia Federal Reserve manufacturing index was -10.5 when -3.0 was forecast.
The 9:00 central time November leading indicators report is expected to show a 0.4% decline.
The December Kansas City Federal Reserve manufacturing index will be released at 10:00 and is anticipated to be -1.0.
The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures.
The U.S. dollar index is lower today after falling to over a four-month low last week. Some of today’s selling is linked to mostly weaker than expected U.S. economic reports.
Lower prices are likely for the U.S. dollar longer term.
The Confederation of British Industry’s monthly retail sales balance worsened to -32 in December 2023 from -11 in November, which is well under market expectations of -12.
Japan’s government slightly raised its economic growth projections for this fiscal year from its previous estimates. In the economic outlook, the real economic growth rate for fiscal 2023/24 is estimated at 1.6%, which is up from 1.3% seen six months ago.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures were supported by the smaller than expected U.S. gross domestic report.
Prices have trended higher after the Federal Open Market Committee’s policy statement and Federal Reserve Chair Powell’s press conference last week took a turn to the dovish side.
On Wednesday, the $13 billion 20-year U.S. Treasury bond auction drew a high yield of 4.213%.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 12% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will reduce its fed funds rate by 25 points at its January 31, 2024 policy meeting and an 88% probability of no change.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.